Wednesday 18 February 2015

Coconut, Black Rice Pudding

Black rice have their important place in Chettinad cuisine, i have been pampered with inippu kavuni arisi aka sweetened chettinad black rice obviously anything with black rice goes immediately to my favourite food list. Few months back, i simply tried a coconut milk and black rice pudding for our dessert after a sunday meal. Everyone at home enjoyed thoroughly and this pudding became my kids favourite as well. Obviously whenever i get a chance to cook with black rice i never forget to dish out this incredible and very flavourful black rice pudding.

Vegan Coconut milk and black rice pudding

Black rice have numerous nutritional values,apart from making delicious desserts you can add this black rice very much in many more savoury dishes. They replace very well the white rice and i tried many dishes out of it, but unfortunately while checking the pictures in my camera i deleted them accidently. Once i get black rice next time, i'll definitely try and will post the recipe in my space. Coming to today's pudding, this delicious dessert goes to this week's blogging marathon, as i picked kid's delight- colourful dishes. After a simple one pot meal, my today's black rice pudding goes awesome under this theme.Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#49.

Vegan Coconut milk and black rice pudding

1/2cup Black rice
4cups Water
1cup Thick coconut milk
3/4cup Sugar
1/2tsp Cardamom powder
Almond flakes

Wash the black rice and soak the rice in 4 cups of water for 4 hours.

Pressure cook the black rice with soaked water upto 5 whistles.

Once the steam gets released, mash the rice and add in the coconut milk,sugar, cardamon powder.

Bring it to boil and put off the stove.

Serve warm or chilled topped with almond flakes.

13 comments:

vaishali sabnani said...

This rice pudding looks very similar to what I made for Manipur ...I believe this black rice is very popular there, but did not know that Chettinad cuisine also serves it. Looks really good.

Varada's Kitchen said...

Nice color and so rich. We loved this pudding when I made this last year.

Unknown said...

Healthy kind of colourful pudding

Magees kitchenworld said...

Looks Delicious, Colorful and Yum!

Srivalli said...

Nice knowing about the black rice Priya, I too never knew about this rice being available down south!

great-secret-of-life said...

healthy and tasty pudding.. tempting me ...

Suma Gandlur said...

Love the color of that pudding. I had no idea that black rice was available in south India as well. Is it chewy?

Sandhya Ramakrishnan said...

I had also made the black rice pudding for the regional marathon without the coconut milk. Since then I have always wanted to make this with coconut milk. Now you are tempting me all over again!

Harini R said...

Wow! Looks very colorful and appealing.

Pavani said...

Did not know that black rice is used even in Chettinad cuisine. That pudding looks amazing. Will have to try it.

Jayanthi said...

I've never heard nor tried black rice before. The pudding looks awesome. Love the color.

Sneha's Recipe said...

Wow this has a lovely color and have never tried black rice. Must try it.

Priya Srinivasan - I Camp in My Kitchen said...

I dont get this kavuni arisi here priya, this is in my to-do list for a long time now!! Looks totally delicious and that color makes it more interesting!! :)