Friday 12 January 2018

Adamant Creeper Chutney/Pirandai Thogayal

Adamant creeper is known as Pirandai in Tamil, have many medicinal benefits and this creeper grows abundantly in India which doesnt need any special care. Obviously this plant can be grown easily in pots at home with less efforts. I have been looking for a chance to cook with this  adamant creeper,finally i cooked up few fantastic dishes with it. I have already posted a delicious Rasam with this creeper, and my today's post in an another popular chutney aka thogayal prepared with this super healthy Adamant creeper. An excellent thogayal to enjoy with hot steaming rice served along with spicy side dish, makes a satisfying meal.

Pirandai Thuvaiyal, Adamant Creeper chutney

Am running this week's blogging marathon with Dips, chutneys and spreads as theme, after two different dishes for this theme, i couldnt stop myself to post this thogayal as this dish was sitting in my draft for more than 6 months. Yes i prepared this thogayal during my last trip to India. Since this creeper is not available here, its always a pleasure to cook and enjoy local vegetables/herbs or greens during our stay in India. And this time without any fail, i clicked few pictures before we relished this healthy chutney with rice.


1cup Pirandai/Adamant Creeper (chopped)
4tbsp Urad dal
4nos Dry red chilies
Small piece Tamarind
1/4tsp Asafoetida
Few Curry Leaves
Salt
Oil

Apply some oil in your palm prevent the itchiness while washing and scraping the adamant creeper.

Wash, break and scrape the edges of the pirandai. Chop it into small pieces to cook them easily.

Heat oil and saute the adamant creeper on low flame until they turns brown, remove and keep aside.

In the same pan, sauté until the urad dal turns golden brown.

Pirandai Thogayal, Adamant creeper thogayal

Now add the dry red chilies, curry leaves, asafoetida, tamarind,saute for few seconds and put of the flame.

Once everything gets cooled, grind everything to a coarse paste by sprinkling some water.

Serve with rice topped with ghee.
BMLogo

10 comments:

Srivalli said...

Your draft surely has come to help!..nice one and though I have this growing at home, I am still so hesitant to make use of it..must try it sometime..

Padmajha said...

We too have this creeper at home and make it once in a while. I am going to check out the pirandai rasam.

MySpicyKitchen said...

Not sure if my precious comment went thought. This is a new ingredient for me and nonetheless the chutney looks good.

Kalyani said...

was just planing to plant perandai in my little garden at home next week . this thogayal is super delish, isnt it ?

Harini R said...

I have read about this creeper but haven't had a chance to see or cook with it.

Pavani said...

That is a new ingredient for me. But it sounds healthy & delicious.

Sandhya Ramakrishnan said...

I have never seen a pirandai or tasted it. It is on my list to try next time I go to India. Looks delicious!

Jayashree said...

I made this during my last visit to India. I feel that in the case of pirandai, a little goes a long way. It does add a nice flavor to thogayal, doesn't it?

Chef Mireille said...

what a funny name - sounds like a bug to me but I am sure will be interesting to try this vegetable

Unknown said...

Pirandai is a perennial plant of the grape family. Pirandai is rich in vitamin C and vitamin E. Pirandai is a natural blood purifier. Pirandai thuvaiyal recipe can be made in matter of minutes and tastes really good.